02 March 2009

A New Shade of Green

I’m a museum tripping, fort viewing kinda girl. I like guides (the printed and the breathing), pamphlets, badly written ASI Boards and random pieces of trivia, this is best exemplified by observing my school trips to museums. I will for the sake of brevity (hah!) limit myself to one example, our class 8th trip to the arts and handicrafts museum in Delhi. While the rest of my 200 classmates and companions in their quest for learning and knowledge ran through the museum learning essential life skills such as social networking, physical feats of multitasking like walking talking and eating while dodging the random teacher or two and of course little snippets of actual fact – “I swear I saw them holding hands .....”, I went around trying to learn about the Ikat sarees of Orissa. Solitarily staring at the plastic reproduction of an authentic weaving handloom from the early 1990s, Fascinated by the moth eaten Puppets from Northern Rajasthan and cribbing to anyone who’d listen (mostly myself or the unfortunate teacher who had to trail me) that there wasn’t enough written up about the wonders of tribal peacock fans.

In London the storybook Cottages, the Lush greenery, the clean streets, the big shops and the spell binding stage shows all made me wonder and marvel, but none made me want to move to London. It was only as I wandered through the 13th museum and passed a gaggle of high school students being instructed on the colours in a painting that I realized that a delicate hue had begun to colour my countenance. The Instructor called it Fern Green, I call it museum envy green.

I don’t care for their Castles, we have our forts and they can keep their Princes, I prefer Farhan Akhtar, I don’t need clean public loos while I have my home and the Delhi metro will catch up with the London tube eventually. The promenade by the Thames is tempting but the cold and rainy weather means you can never enjoy it. Their Food is blah and bland after a while and so long as the Big Chill exists I won’t miss their cheesecake either. Who wants green everywhere when we have green, reds and browns and a whole rainbow of colours in our landscape and who wants picture perfect cows on Rolling Meadows when we have our sacred mud and dung caked cows on pot holed roads. If I move to London it will be for the museums. So that I can spend hours roaming those vast magnificent halls, reading every line, hanging onto every word of the nice lady on the audio guide. So that my kids can learn to draw stick figures and tear paper to make kites surrounded by the masters. So that I can learn everything I want to know about mummified cats in front of a genuine Mummified cat. The knowledge, the visuals, the atmosphere, the thrill (I am thrilled by museums, thank you very much) call to me, they beckon to me, come to London they whisper seductively in my head (stop feeling sorry for me, I have fun!). But I think I will wait for the day when these museums will come to India. Until then I will content myself by advising my kids to (like my friends) focus on life skills, physical dexterity and gossip when they visit Indian museums and petitioning The Arts and Craft Museum to correct their Ikat Saree label, Ikat Sarees come from Gujarat.

5 comments:

Punvati said...

"So that I can learn everything I want to know about mummified cats in front of a genuine Mummified cat."

Im sorry, that line just cannot leave me. Now everytime i go to a museum i will imagine curious kids huddled up around a plastered feline wondering "I wondered if it eats mummified mice" :P

And tribal peacock fans just reminds me of us on a lizard buzz :D

As you can see, Im not a very museum person. But i loved the post :)

Adhirath said...

Nice post. This is the first time I'm reading anything written by you and ?I must admit, you have a nice style.

Especially love the part: "The promenade by the Thames is tempting but the cold and rainy weather means you can never enjoy it" (dont know why though!)

Although.you really are SO much into museums? wow! never could have guessed..you seemed like a fun-loving person so far :P (just kiddin)

ramsub said...

:D Just to reaffirm, I Love Museums

@Divya: I've yet to find anybody who is a musuem person (apart from me)

@Adhirath: I'm such a "fun loving" person that I can even have fun in an musuem

Unknown said...

I love the way u close.... !

And this one just had me in splits... "petitioning The Arts and Craft Museum to correct their Ikat Saree label, Ikat Sarees come from Gujarat"!!
Haha... !

Samvida said...

speaking of teaching.

you know how you learn from experience and exposure.

so.
you're already using this blog as a place to record you're experiences. and all thats in it is someone elses' exposure. so to speak.

so teach via the blog.
for instance. i now know..that ikat sarees are from gujarat.