15 June 2009

Did I hear you say Movie?

A day well wasted is a day well spent. And yesterday was a day very well spent indeed. My sister, cousins and I decided to celebrate the return of new releases to Multiplexes by going and watching 17 Again. As my sister and I were leaving, my mother looked at us and in accents of great torment and despair announced that she was being Bheja Fried yet again by us.

According to her Being Bheja Fried means being cruelly left out, deserted by your near and dear when they go to see a movie without you, that too a movie which you might enjoy. The origin of this term she explained her voice quavering with neglect and deeply repressed emotions comes from when my Dad and took me and my sisters to see the movie Bheja Fry without her. She accused us of having Bheja Fried her numerous times since then, the most recent incident being when we went to see Star Trek behind her back. My Father she had forgiven, but being Bheja Fried by those who she not only gave birth to but also gave reasons to live by introducing them to the wonders of Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings was unpardonable according to her. To watch us so shamelessly stalking out without a care in the world (My sisters Final exams are on and I had some left over Internship work to be submitted today) without so much as a backward glance at her as we bheja fried her, it broke her heart, she wailed.

We would have been deeply moved and might have considered inviting her or perhaps even invited her to come along with us except that, my mother got snagged in a technicality. In order to be Bheja Fried the movie you are left out of should be one that you actually wanted to see, or think you might enjoy (like when my friends went to see Dev D minus Me!). My mother to put it quite simply has not enjoyed a movie in quite some time. All the movies she’s seen recently have given her a head ache, and she always ends up pulling a 99 on them. A 99 you ask? It means plugging into your ipod, shutting your eyes and completely ignoring the movie. She first did it in the movie 99, she then pulled a 99 at Angels and Demons (a movie I was Bheja Fried from because I had Internship work to submit the next day. Those of you who think that I am a hard worker, carrying work home, please don’t read the rest of this sentence, for the rest of you who’re still reading- the reason I get stuck with work at home is because I’m busy sleeping at work, that or writing blog posts). My mother would have pulled a 99 on 17 again. If she came, her Ipod stayed behind, we warned her, she sheepishly agreed that perhaps it was best for her to not come.

So it was just us kids who went and saw 17 again, and then because it was playing in a theatre conveniently close by and because even my cousin hadn’t seen it, but mostly in order to bring balance back to the Universe I decided to skip doing the work due and we watched Angels and Demons instead. It was day very well spent indeed.

But it was as we trailed out of the movie theatre after watching Angels and Demons that it hit Sumana that this coming Wednesday she was going to be Demonised by her friends. That is what happens to you when you have a movie crazy family (did I mention that my family has a movie lingo which defines the different ways in which we watch or don’t watch movies?) which takes you to see every single movie released (even those released during your exams) so that when your friends eventually get around to going to see a movie with you (say for example to celebrate the end of the exams) you’ll be watching that movie for the third time in a theatre.

2 comments:

Punvati said...

:D

I have some of those too. Pulling a passion of the Christ is the term used for a person who pays a lot of money for a ticket, falls asleep before the movie begins and wakes up when its over and done with, pretty much having paid for an AC room to sleep in. Sheh...

I like yours more though :D

Didnt you mention some posts ago that your mom liked only masala flicks?

ramsub said...

mom likes mindless fun, romance mixed with comedy or action mixed with comedy, 17 again would have actually been good for her. she got bheja fried......

also I guess while pulling a passion of the christ you just happen to fall asleep, pulling a 99 requires advance planning and your staying concious and muttering to the rest of the people with you how bad the movie is.