21 September 2009

The Girl Likes to Run

One of the nicest compliments I have ever received is from Hakuna, she says she can’t sleep at night unless she’s lulled to sleep by the gentle patter of my footsteps as I pace up and down the corridor of our hostel. I don’t know whether the rest of the girls on the corridor feel the same but I do know that I love running up and down our hostel corridor, thudding, dodging clothes stands, charging at people, ipod blasting in my ears so that I’m oblivious to the rest of the world. Eccentric? I guess, but hey! That’s me!
I love the feeling of wind in my hair, the sky above me, the ground beneath my feet when I go jogging. I’ll put up with the dust up my nose, the couples I have to jump over (true story!), the potholes I have to dodge as I take my rounds around the football field, in order to feel the way a good jog can make you feel. Heart pumping, feeling alive, wide awake and wonderfully exhausted all at the same time. Not so very eccentric I guess.
I like to run away to different places, be on the move, see new places, see old places in a new way, wander aimlessly around the city I live in, fall asleep on a train, fly around the countryside in a bus, go for a silent drive on a long road that goes nowhere.
I run away from and with a great deal of things, other people, my feelings, work, headaches, depression, stupidity, a sense of fun, adventure, independence. I just want to run, keep running and never stop. It clears my head, stops my brain from over thinking, my mind from going crazy. It lets me deal, it lets me be.

If she wants to run, let her.

11 comments:

As the Mind Meanders said...

Run Ramu Run
Run like crazy

Awesome writing girl... inspiring...

kedarnath gupta said...

neat.

The New Age Superhero said...

baywatch?

john doh said...

this is kinda like that nike ad from 'what women want' - http://ajai.in/2009/07/22/no-games-just-sports-nike-ad/

ok, maybe not so much, but reminded me of that.

ramsub said...

@ JD, actually, it is kinda that ad. I've been influenced by that ad or rather its description quite a bit, so much so that I have this recurring dream, where I am running on a long road stretching out, I keep tripping and falling, but I get up and continue to run.

don't like the movie, but that ad has stayed with me. :D

@ ABITW, yes just like baywatch

john doh said...

"recurring dream, where I ... keep tripping and falling, but I get up and continue to run", ... and a room full of freudian psychoanalysts went "hmmmm"

in your dream, does the road look like the road from the movie? all blue, wide and deserted? coz i have a recurring dream where i'm being chased across a flight of stairs which look *exactly* like those stairs in 'The Matrix' climax scene.

... and WWW was a decent movie, IMO, with that Judy Greer bit, etc.

ramsub said...

it's a hot, black tar coated road and you can feel the heat radiate of the road. Its in a dessert, and all around it is the typical rajasthani, barren (yet beautiful) landscape.

Im also wondering why I'm running on the road and not off it. maybe the psychoanalysts could explain that.... the rest is ummm... obvious... I think :P

Anonymous said...

I've never been much of a runner but I like how you've described it. Nice. :)

Punvati said...

Home's not the same without a wide eyed girl with messed up hair charging past a sleepy you. I've written a whole post on that :D

Spaz Kumari said...

Ramu on the corridor;
we hear her run, she hears us snore;
midnight visit to the loo?
be careful, she'll run over you.
sometimes ramu stops and screams;
waking all from happy dreams;
then she quiets down and she runs;
ramu is just having her funs.

;)

ramsub said...

@ dibba, my running inspires poetry! woot! :D