03 November 2009

'tis the season to be sorry... or not.

It’s that time of year again, when my eyes go all puffy (due to an excess of sleep). Where my back gets a cramp as I sit obsessively at my laptop for hours together (watching movies). When I stop moving out of my room, talking to anyone, interacting with anyone (because everyone refuses to).
Oh yes it’s exam time and while everyone else is busy studying I can feel my brain shut down, cell by cell. I can hear the whirr of my usually hyperactive head turning into a wheezing hacking noise as it slowly grinds to a dead halt. Brain for sale. Slightly used. Very damaged.
On the other hand, I’m finally free! Free from moots, vivas, projects, tests, teachers who irritate, classes which kill, classmates who I’d like to kill (To classmates reading this, I like and respect you outside the classroom. A lot. Just not in class.)
I hate vivas, I hate having to go and face teachers and justify what is an obviously crappy project to them. I hate having to look at their disappointed faces, as they try to ask intelligent questions on an idiotic piece of work. I squirm and feel guilty when they’re nice and let you off easy. I squirm and feel guilty when they give me the “underachiever - pull yourself together” tough love talk.
I like deadlines, they bring order to my otherwise chaotic world. I might not always make a deadline, but I will never ever make it when there’s no deadline, or even worse when a deadline keeps getting pushed around and is in effect no deadline at all.
I like exams, they get over in one clean and silent swoop, unlike presentations, tests and other forms of continuous assessment torture which go on and on with no end in sight and keep getting moved around, involve one on one interactions, mess, noise, confusion and cheating.
Exam time is bliss, sleep, movies, alone time, fixed deadlines, what more could I ask for? Silence.....

7 comments:

Spaz Kumari said...

so VERY well written. also - needless to say - i identify with a lot of that. exam time is simultaneously a knot of dull apprehension because i KNOW i will not study until the absolute last minute (quite possibly never at all), and a perverse satisfaction that comes from looking at all the neat little deadlines. The satisfaction largely persists even when i do not meet them.

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

"I like exams, they get over in one clean and silent swoop."

So agree with that. The numb-time will start in a few days. And there will be this entire cycle of mugging-eating-sleeping-writing. And we will be one semester closer to being lawyers.

Personally I feel, what a farce.

Punvati said...

I like how our exams go a lot better than those which dragon for a month. Too annoying.

"Brain for sale. Slightly used. Very damaged." I love :)

Punvati said...

drag on*
yeesh

Unknown said...

:)

ramsub said...

@ indiegurl, thanks for the praise, I've been doubting the writing of late.

@ LBH, thanks for the constructive criticism, I too have been doubting the writing of late.

Anonymous said...

I like the exam pressure too. It's a sort of high after the whole year of postponing assignments.

:P