27 October 2009

The Sound of Music

My grandfather used to be paranoid, he worried like all grandparents are wont to do that I’d go deaf listening to pop music, and every time I saw him he would warn me about the dangers of listening to loud pop music (complete with anecdotal evidence taken from The Times.) “In America and London, 12 year olds go deaf listening to loud music through their ear phones” it was the ultimate condemnation of western popular culture. He needn’t have worried. Back then.
Way back then I didn’t listen to pop music, nothing, zilch, zero, mute, no hindi filmy music, no backstreet boys, no nothing. It was vulgar, shameful, used words like “sexy” and was not allowed in our house. And I would comfort my grandfather by proudly telling him that I don’t listen to pop music and that I would never listen to any pop music. Ever. Yet I remember cringing and feeling embarrassed in front of the cool kids in my sisters birthday party when we had to play passing the parcel to “the sound of music” instead of “Whigfeilds- Saturday Night”.
Then one day they showed this little, story-less, black and white movie on TV. It was an important movie and the entire family gathered to watch it, and I was hooked from that first indefinable twang of a chord of “A Hard Days Night”. I might have been sitting in my parents bedroom circa the new millennium but in spirit I was transported back half a decade, cheering, crying, running after and swooning over the Beatles. I have never looked back since then. Except to find those old, classic songs and bands (and movies) of course.
I worry now, that I will go deaf. (Turning down the volume on my ipod). Anyway, music makes my world go round, straight, up to the skies, it takes me everywhere, and I take music everywhere I go. I started listening to the early Beatles , ABBA, show tunes, Petula Clark, Simon and Garfunkel, the carpenters, Nancy Sinatra and other old pop songs on my mothers recommendation who warned me that while sexy songs were not banned, bad music was definitely barred from entering our house
I moved onto the later Beatles and bands like The Who, led zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd. And before I knew it I was listening to all kinds of music. I revisited the lost pop music of my youth and realized that most of it was now “uncool” trash. This means that I can with a very straight face and clean conscience tell people that I never got caught in the Aqua, Backstreet, Britney craze, my music tastes are far superior (what? I like Boney M in an ironic way and umm... Britney and Mika.....)
Today I jog, stride up and down corridors, jump around and live life to flashdance, songs from musicals, eye of the tiger, Rahman, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, Guru Dutt, Backstreet Boys, Bhajans, Brahms, Beethoven, the beatles and weird Al Yankovic. I listen to what I like. Whether its un-cool or cool, popular, indie, obscure, classic, old or new, even good or bad.

At a recent party, my ipod was being used as a jukebox. Everyone was dancing furiously to the latest fast paced noise in vogue, when suddenly the song changed and a melodious nun started singing in a crystal clear voice “she. Climbs. A. Tree. And. Scrapes. Her. Knee.” I stifled my laughter and ran over to a very baffled looking guy who was standing next to my ipod, jaw hanging and muttering “I thought it was Maria”. This time I was not embarrassed by The Sound of Music in front of the cool kids. You see, if I like a song, I will listen to it, and even my grandfather can’t do anything about it.

8 comments:

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

Its that time of the day when I sometimes let out embarrassing stuff.

I was a big fan of Boyzone and Backstreet boys. Like major.

Thanks for introducing me to S&G

ramsub said...

I wasn't a fan of the backstreet boys but I AM a fan of Backstreet Boys.

Punvati said...

And all of us now have the refrain "Ra Ra Rasputin" in our heads all the time. Way to go :P

But I do cringe once in a while at times like your party this year when "If i was a rich man" was playing and people said "Oh it's another version of that Gwen Stefani song" :P

Spaz Kumari said...

"bad music was definitely barred from entering our house"

and yet... ABBA? ;)

I watched a fair amount of Mtv in the days Mtv actually played music.

Also, i will send you a sitar-fied rework of SoM's Maria :D

ramsub said...

@ indiegurl, bono called abba pop geniuses. its all about perception. and I now listen to a lot of bad music and enjoy it and dammit even my mom can't stop me from listening to it.

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

Hey, I like ABBA! Hasthamaniana was the first english song I learnt by heart

Arpita Sarkar said...

I still like Boyzone and Backstreet Boys... "I want it that way" and "Words" are my all time faves...

And yea... Add Savage Garden and Bryan Adams to the list of "Bad Music" I liked... and will always like :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Sound of Music! :D

but I get what you mean. I was listening to ABBA when everyone was singing 'Barbie Girl' :P