03 October 2009

Can you hear me Cheer?

My hands are sore and my throat is cracking, from too much clapping and wooting. I’ve had two consecutive weekends of fests, the colleges first ever sports fest “Yuvardha” was held last weekend and the Jodhpur RIFF is being held this weekend. I cheered at them, I cheered a lot.
My cheering has always embarrassed my sisters, when you’re sitting next to the girl with weird hair who’s the only one clapping and screaming encore in the otherwise silent auditorium, you’d be embarrassed too. My cheering takes classmates and friends by surprise, I am not exactly known for my spirit, being aware of what’s going on in college, or even what whathisnames name is. Add to this the fact that I don't know a single thing about football (it’s some sort of team sport which inspired quidditch!), and it’s umm weird that I'd come scream my lungs of at a football match in the blazing jodhpur heat instead of brooding about morality and goodness in the comfort of my darkened and suitably gloomy room. In fact a slightly ignored and disgruntled boyfriend accused my enthusiasm for Yuvardha as bordering on WAGish. But the truth of the matter is that I clap equally hard at sitar recitals, people taking an unpopular, un-cool stand in class and “National Seminars on Multiculturalism in India: Constitutional Provisions and Future Remedies”.
I like to clap, I like to cheer, if you have something you love doing, and the will to follow through on it, take opportunities and the courage to do it in front of an audience, I think you deserve to be cheered, and told to go for it (irrespective of how much you suck at it). The only thing I seem to be able to follow through on and do in front of a large audience is cheer!
The cheering seems to go hand in hand with my never wanting to tell someone not to do something. No matter how daft or dangerous the idea you put before me, I would tell you to go for it because if you don’t take chances, don’t do what you want to, you might as well not live, and you’ll never learn. Of course I’ll also try my best and hardest to be there if you crash and need a shoulder to cry on, or someone to come bail you out of jail at 4 in the morning.
This also seems to be a difference between elder sisters and elder brothers. Elder brothers want to protect their little sisters, elder sisters want their little sisters to go live and learn even if it means getting hurt. At least I want my little sisters too, I am never going to tell them that I have been through something, so that they don’t need to.... I’ll never ask them to learn from my mistakes, they need to make mistakes for themselves. I want them to do whatever it is that they want to do.
So, you know what? Go! Do something. Shut that laptop down, pick up a guitar, kick a ball around, whatever it is, I’m Cheering for you. Woot!

5 comments:

Punvati said...

From "If we try" to this. Excellent announcement :D

You do the embarrassing cheering, I do the embarrassing dance. Mad pride :D

Word verification says native. Irrelevant, not to bother.

The New Age Superhero said...

why is everyone going "shut your laptop down" these days? :S

the folk music thing was outta this world

Spaz Kumari said...

what can i say? the anarchy-oriented-life-policy is finding favour even with me of the crippling overcautiousness, and the journey will begin with skinny jeans.

and..

*deep breath*

um..

WOOOOOOOOT! :D

agent green glass said...

oh yeah. you are my kind of person.

my problem is that i think i'm easily hypnotised. and once i'm in a spectator seat, i feel compelled to cheer. and then once i start to cheer, i can't stop.

once found myself cheering at an old india match on TV, indian idol auditions, a play i totally hated.

Samvida said...

i cheer at your cheering.
but i wait, to see what to cheer you for next.

and that comes out in the form of the next blog post.
keep writing.

oh! i went to kerala by the by. for production, sound and lighting for a film shoot.

and i found that inspiring as travel can be for all the new spaces it can introduce you to, there is one constant inspiration, my one get away place right now which is right here. in my head. which is thru your blog.
so i cheer again. for this blog and all that it means.
i cheer dear Ramu, for you.
luv.