26 August 2009

Dear God, this is Ramu

Most of the times I am a secular agnostic. Let me be, let me think on my own and I veer towards deism, preach to me, take me to a temple and I’ll become an atheist. In the 6th grade I developed a strong antipathy towards religion, it’s a long reason which involves civics, history, certain irritating family values, proselytizing, feminism and Aastha Channel. At around the same time I lost my faith in reincarnation and god, it’s a long story involving, goldfish, Mr. Walt Disney and the Discovery Channel, it’s also more boring that it sounds. I became an insomniac, awake at all odd hours of the night pondering the meaning of life, the universe and everything else. I was scared of death, scared of not being able to think anymore, of not being able to be. I felt like a hypocrite because I couldn’t tell my family, and would still visit temples, still pray when expected to and even worse, ask for favours from a god I didn’t believe in (please..... please...... please, do something about the pimple on my nose)


In 3rd Grade my Parents signed me up for a Hindu Sunday School called Bal Mandir. This is the first time I am publicly admitting that I went to Sunday School, and while I’m admitting things I’ll admit that I enjoyed myself there. Bal Mandir was surprisingly Fun, they had a lot of stuff happening on the side which I got to take part in, unlike school where I was lost amongst the great un-charismatic, very-ordinary masses. There were elocution competitions which I got to win, being a natural at blab even at that young tender age. There were cultural programs with really bad dancing, I was always Krishna, and had to stand in the centre like a statue, in a blue T-shirt, Yellow satin Dhoti holding a bansuri while the other girls got to dance around me in pretty lehangas. There were annual day functions with bad acting, I remember the first time I took part, and I had only one line, “arre! yah nevala toh manushya ki boli mein bol raha hai!” I ended up forgetting my cue and had to be prompted, I consoled myself with the thought that this line was supposed to be said with astonishment (“ashcharya mein” was the exact description), and that the delay merely indicated how very astonished I was- at least that’s how my loving mother consoled me.

I guess what I ended up taking away from Bal Mandir came from the time I refused to be Krishna, and was given a 2 page moral to recite at the end of a play. No I don’t remember the moral, in fact I didn’t even memorize it like I was supposed to, I lost the only sheet it was written on, and forgot about it until D-Day dawned. My mother instead of behaving like the loving parent she normally is, refused to call me in Sick and sent me, a shaking, quavering 9 year old to face and ‘fess up my misdeed to Tara Di. “Chee! Chee! sab gobar kar diya!” That line still rings in my ears as I’m about to do something wrong, let someone down or embarrass myself. As a punishment I was given the lead role in the annual day function. Needless to say this time around, I knew all my cues, all my dialogues and didn’t protest too much at having to play an old Man, a Crazy old man at that, complete with fake beard and very real stick with which I could hit people. My adoring Aunt was appalled when the best actor prize was given to someone else, my loving mother told me that someone else who won it did a better job and deserved it.

My experiments with religion and god still continue, I am no longer scared (there’s no point..... it’s not going to matter), I no longer stay awake all night wondering what will happen to my (fabulous! And Narcissistic......) mind when I die, and I (very surprisingly), no longer hate Religion the way I once did. In fact, from thinking that I could believe in God but not Religion, I now feel that I could appropriate some religious values in my life, but I’m still not sure about God. Remembering Bal Mandir, even though I don’t remember any of the shlokas I was sent there to learn, I do remember snippets of their meanings, and they’re beginning to make more and more sense to me as I grow up, not-so irritating Family Values, studying history again, re-reading and re-evaluating the Ramayana and Mahabharata, all this has led to a very gradual change in my beliefs, I didn’t realize it was happening until it happened and I can’t tell you in which grade I realized that It had happened. Perhaps for these reasons this belief will be a more permanent and flexible one, I’m allowing myself to change naturally, instead of clinging to what I think is right. As of writing this post I am an Agnostic, Secular, Hindu. If I change my mind, I’ll let you know.

6 comments:

Punvati said...

Religion is the cause of most problems. Individual faith is individual faith. Brilliant if it actually helps people, which I'm sure it does. But the mass hysteria caused due to such faith annoys me to no end.

Agnostic and secular is an awesome way to put it. Exactly my sentiments :D

ramsub said...

surprisingly, I have managed to differentiate beyween personal faith and hysteria - the 16 year old me would never have done it. They were one and the same to me back then, personal faith fed hysteria, supported it etc.

Im still not fond of temples, Poojas, still not sure about the existence of God but I find it very hard to argue with tennets like Speak the Truth and Do the Right Thing. and of course I have my problems with a man may take as many wives as he pleases or whatever .......

Spaz Kumari said...

personally i enjoy being hindu because it has legitimised lazy spirituality. you could be adi shankaracharya and you could be me, and you'd still be equally hindu. no pressure.

and i enjoy temples.. the smells, the colours, the music, the people, the food. it's a carnival. :)

death just always sounded peaceful to me. in the abstract, that is. In real life (death in real life, ha!), it is always more teary, messy and awkward than you think it will be.

God said...

Dear ..er.. (looks at clipboard) Ramu, this is God. (For best results, picture me as Bob Kelso from the earlier seasons of 'Scrubs'.)

Kudos on the awesome blog. Makes me happy about creating Evan Williams.

So, you're an agnostic, eh? Well, let me give you My take, which is, I'm fine with it. Totally fine. In fact, as long as you think about this stuff a bit, and dont go ahead and have fistfights over it, and then just go with your gut, whatever you decide, I'm the happiest .. er .. God around.

And maybe its just Me, but I think that that line - “arre! yah nevala toh manushya ki boli mein bol raha hai!” - is supposed to be spoken exactly like - "These pretzels are making me thirsty!" - was supposed to be spoken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaLpHoZA8E

ramsub said...

Dear God,

If I must picture you, I would prefer to picture you as Divine!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_(actor)

(so much more gender neutral and umm... divine don't you think?)

yours sincerely,

Ramsub

Arpita Sarkar said...

I am glad there is at least one other person in the world who knows it is possible for one to be Agnostic, Secular and a Hindu at the same time.. None in derogation of the other :)

The reason why religion exists is because some men thought ahead of their times and decided to civilize the the lesser mortal masses with their noble thoughts. Yes.. I think the whole thing about "I went to heaven and met God and he told me x..y..z.." or "I am the son of God" is just a way to get the masses to listen to you.. I don't blame them for that...

Now here comes the problem... Religion is precisely the dictates of one enlightened man, or in some cases, a few enlightened men who lived years ago. While much of what they said is universal and still true (Speak the truth, Don't kill, etc etc..).. These old editions still require revision to remove irrelevant things like "Stick to your caste" or "Wear a burqa" as times change. Too bad there are too many who want to perform this revision.. and many others who resist this change.. That's the cause of mass hysteria and not the religion itself.

Alas, we mere mortals are not mature enough to follow religion. Those men/and women(not that I know of any) who founded their respective religions terribly over estimated us when they thought we were mature enough to handle it. They must be tossing in their graves to think we wrote it down in a book or a few books and now those books have become more important than all that these people have ever stood for...

I pains me to see Prophet Mohammad not get his due share of accolades only because a few of his so called followers have... what u knw (Don't want to start a controversy)

It pains me to see people criticize the Ramayana and Mahabharata and the characters in it without them even reading it.. (For heaven's its a great piece of literature) All that based on what a saffron clad moron yells at an election rally or because we were expected to indulge in idol worship and go to temples which we detested... And when asked to read it you get the "Oh I am not a Hindu... Its a religious books full of preaching" ... "Sanskrit is a Hindu language" ...

You will hear people say "Sex is bad" .. "Homosexuality is bad".. and blame it all on Jesus... But trust me Jesus was more than just that..

Jesus, Mohammad or even the fictional character called Ram deserve more respect than that... It is one thing to disagree or agree with their ways after studying them.. and another to blindly advocate their views or oppose them as the case may be... I for one, am not too comfortable with people who do the latter (But yes, each to his own)

The funny thing here is.. We all follow a religion of our own. It may be motivated by individual faith (Yes, a one man religion) or may be based on what someone said years back. I belong to the former and over the years I have stopped looking at the latter category with disgust... I've started seeing that they do have a point, wherever they are coming from.

Regards,
A former Agnostic, Secular, Hindu Now...
An Agnostic bordering on Atheist, Secular bordering on Hindutva-vadi, Hindu