30 August 2009

Theres a monster in my Fridge!

Its 12 at night and though I am well fed, nay stuffed on some excellent Mediterranean/Italian food from Fresc co's excellent all you can eat buffet, I am feeling hungry! Very very hungry!

Since I am at home (those of you who thought there was an all you can eat mediterranean/italian buffet in Jodhpur, I am sorry for having led you on), kindly, well-meaning but sadly ignorant friends have suggested that I simply raid my fridge, what could be better than home food after all?

Pretty Much everything, including my college mess food, would be an honest answer. My mother has given up cooking. Instead the cooking is left to our maid of 10 years, who seems to have spent the last 10 years un-learning any cooking she might have known when she first came to us. The fresc co dinner was in fact to make up for the singularly unsatissfactory lunch I had consisting of some burned Bhindi, sludge like Sambar and Soggy rice. Even my longing for a simple curd rice could not be satissfied, for when the curd in the fridge was inspected it turned out to be sour chunks of Ice a couple of days old.

The curd however was the least of the horrors that the fridge contained, consider as an example the 10 day old Rassam. Unlike Wine and Cheese, Rassam does not getter better with age (Unless you're some sort of mutant disease carrying bacteria looking for the ideal breeding ground). When Rassam has spent 5 days in a fridge, the Ghee in the Rassam congeals and floats to the top of the bowl, forming a greasy green gloop, below that lies a layer of mud coloured water which is resting on a bed of sludge made up of Dal and lightly rotting tomatoes. Rassam which has wasted in the fridge for 10 days should not be described publicly.

If that isn't enough to put you of food forever, theres the Tori, Lauki, Tinda Ki Sabji made without any Fat, any Masala or anything that makes food taste good. Then, there are the tins of grated coconut and dried Curry leaves and bags of shrivelled up lemons and green chillies. Yum!

My mother is (was?) a good cook, I remember a time when my Tiffin Boxes were famed and would be devoured by hordes of hungry classmates even before the bell for the first period of school rang. It's just that ever since I left for college, she's developed this antipathy towards Kitchens and all things domestic (when I come home, I am met not with pampering, but rather a paper containing a list of chores). Why? I don't know, whenever I ask her she mutters something darkly about freedom, not wanting kids and poison. Some kids can't wait to go home and have a nice meal. Me? I can't wait to get back to college and eat a meal without the fear of being poisoned by my mother or food poisoned by my maids cooking.

14 comments:

Silpa said...

haha..Ramu.. that was funny.. but I m not too sure if our mess food is better.. it is a slow poison!!! with more and more people having problems of stomach upset, mouth ulcers and I donno what all !!

Punvati said...

Ugh. Ugh. You will still get us yummy curd rice right? :P

I'm sure you are "eggaggerating" anyway :D

ramsub said...

@ silpa, yikes about the ulcers, but I think my home food has made me immune to almost any sort of food related illness.

@ Divvi, what me eggaggerate (sp?)?

Spaz Kumari said...

your mother will KEEL you for this post. :D

Spaz Kumari said...

oh, and re your reply to divi's comment, nice mad magazine reference :)

Arpita Sarkar said...

And wht do ur parents eat?

Bhargavi said...

a brilliant description of rotting-10 day old rasam ..

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

Are you dead yet?

If not, get us some curd rice. :P

Nitya Ram said...

There is a monster in your tummy - after stuffing yourself with 6 rounds of rich mediteranean food followed by 4 desserts, even ambrosia and nectar handed down by the gods would have looked sick. The curd rice will now depend on serious penitence. Mom

Punvati said...

@ Ramsub- Don't do this to us! :D

@Aunty- Take pity on us.. those who actually appreciate your food and all that :P

Spaz Kumari said...

@aunty - four girls in a hostel in faraway rajasthan instantaneously dropped dead at your comment regarding no curd rice. the remaining two girls are standing on one leg and praying to shiva that you change your mind.

please. :(

(ramu, you will pay.)

Punvati said...

To commemorate the memory of those poor expectant girls who could not handle the shock of no-curd-rice-ness, we shall solemnly eat on their behalf.

revelsign said...

give me a spoon. i'll dig in in their memory. in fact, i think we should have a designated mourner. i volunteer to do it for all of us...being the noble and self-sacrificing individual that i am. what say, divvit/dibbaling/monster baby?

Misty Rhythm said...

hhaahah hilarious post! awww i miss my mommy now :(. heeheh n she's a great cook! :)...n i agree, i think ramsub's empty stomach wrote the post :P tch tch
well atleast u girls get food prepared n all (no matter how vile it may be!)...i have to do it all by myself here...cook, clean and keep my grades up at the same time!

p.s. at the cost of being bludgeoned to death, lemme put forward a suggestion....LEARN TO COOK!
p.p.s. i'm hoping aunty will ignore the l'il monster and bless u girls with some curd rice too :) *pretty please*