16 August 2009

Emofanal Atyachar

I have seen a lot of shitty hindi movies in the theatre. I don’t come across as the sort of person who watches hindi movies, let alone shitty ones and that too in the theatre, but take my word for it I have. If you can’t take my word here’s a sample from the list, Hello Brother, Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega, Mujhse Dosti Karoge, Kaal and of course, Kambhakt Ishq. I was not a big fan of Hindi movies, never did care very much for them, the melodrama, the lack of finesse, the hammy acting, the stereotyping, the sexism, it made me cringe, it left me depressed, disillusioned angry and mad.

That is, until I saw Bluffmaster. I didn’t expect to, but I ended up adoring Bluffmaster, cute story (‘inspired’, but nevertheless), told well, acted well, no melodrama, actually funny and plausible in its own way. I decided to pay more attention to Hindi Movies. Since then I have fallen in love with Hindi Movies, they’ve developed a certain panache, a certain style, there’s attention and realism in the details, in the characters, in the relationships they portray. The song and dance (and sometimes melodrama) is still there but it’s done with a wink to the audience as if the movie acknowledges the ridiculousness of it all. Hindi Movies have discovered a sense of ‘Fun’ and I’m Loving it.

Since then I have loved Chak De India, Rock On, Luck By Chance, Love Aaj Kal, Lage Raho Munnabhai, and of course Dev D. These movies had their flaws, but each one had some little touch that made me sit up and pay attention. Chak De was understated brilliance, I went in groaning at the thought of another Rah! Rah! We are Indians and invincible (............not!) movie, instead I got a steady and believable story about an underdog team and its disgraced coach, the look of the movie was spot on, shabby Indian fields, dingy government offices populated with paan stained babus and of course Shah Rukh Khan on his scooter (and not big flashy car!) in the last scene. Rock On while not all that great on the whole (for starters, which self respecting Rock Band calls itself Magik?) handled its characters and relationships very well, from Arjun Rampals nagging and neglected spitfire of a wife, to Farhan Akhtars society belle with a heart of gold wife, how years later when Farhan Akhtar bumps into his ex-girlfriend (who he dumped by running away and leaving behind a letter) it does not lead to melodrama as much as a temporary awkwardness. And all the horridness that was Deepika Padukones acting was redeemed in that one scene of Love Aaj Kal when Saif Ali Khan after being mugged in San Fransisco stays beaten down, slightly hysterical and bleeding away, instead of pulling together, running after the baddies and kicking the crap out of them a la any movie made in the 90s (when it was some sort of unwritten rule that Hindi Movie heroes could not be beaten up by goondas without their managing to exact some sort of appropriate revenge, especially if the goondas happened to be Firangs). Lastly, Luck By Chance is brilliant through and through. It’s witty, it’s smart satire, it’s polished and it’s the movie I wanted to make about gender equations. Konkona Sen Sharmas ending dialogue/monologue where she dumps the grovelling Farhan Akhtar by telling him that she would rather lead her own ‘imperfect’ life than be a footnote in his ‘perfect and famous’ life still gives me Goosebumps when I think about it. My movie (I was going to win an Oscar for it) was going to end on a similar note, when the too good to be true hero comes back asking for forgiveness from the slightly frumpy heroine, he tells her that he’s sorry he left her but now he wants to be the last guy in her life..... awwww....... not! The heroine then gently tells him that this wasn’t the correct thing to say, he should have said that he wanted her to be the last girl in his life and goes away leaving behind a very baffled looking hero trying to figure out the difference.
These movies leave me High! It’s like a concentrated shot of adrenalin. I think furiously about the story, the acting, the dialogue, the look and cinematography. The Music remains pounding in my ears long after I’ve left the theatre and sometimes I end up not sleeping for days (!) racing up and down my hostel corridor all night (don’t ask!) because I’m that rattled by the movie. It’s a bit extreme, and heaven knows what’s wrong with little ole me (Mom says I’m high strung). I just saw Kaminey and I foresee several long sleepless nights ahead of me, as I try to work it out of my system.
Thank heavens for hostel - Long corridors, heavy sleepers and accommodating friends.

11 comments:

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

oooh, so like these movies are fuel for the Bullet?

I wonder how much mileage the Charlie-Mikhail equation fuels :D

ramsub said...

you'll (and I'll) find out tonight.....

JD said...

yikes@the first sample of movies.

I've been a fairly vocal oppoenent of all things Bollywood, but must recommend the following recent movies, which have been responsible for me not giving up completely on Indian cinema -

Hazaaron Khwahishein Aisi - brilliant in every way.
Teen Deewarein - one of Kukunoor's best; ties up multiple threads better than Tarantino, imo.
Sehar - cop drama which Scorsese could have been proud of. Dialogues are flawlessly written.
No Smoking - Anurag kashyap's much maligned David Lynch-esque movie, called the worst movie of the year by Rajeev Masand. Best Hindi movie i've seen in years; Dev D was close.
Amu - Konkona sen at her best.


Others worth mentioning - Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part 2, Iqbal, A Wednesday, Dor, Being Cyrus, Lets Talk, 15 Park Avenue, Little Zizou, OLLO, Khosla ka Ghosla etc. But the common thing amongst all these, I think, is that all of these are smaller experimental films, which is what I have restricted my hindi movie viewing to.


finally, Joey would kill me if I didn't add that the second comment was totally arousing :P

Arpita Sarkar said...

Ramsub not fair!! I saw your status message and logged on to read a critique on Kaminay ... Yes I know the "Emofanal" came from there ... So pls make it quick... I am waiting for that one :) I found the movie Ho-Hum but I am completely smitten by Mikhail... Especially the way he calls Charlie "Shonamoni" :P :P

Coming to the list of watchable/good Hindi movies that have released in the last 2-3 years I think Guru, Gulaal, Taare Zameen Par and A Wednesday deserve a mention

ramsub said...

@ swordfish will walk out kaminey, get some perspective and write a review .... I've seen Gulal and didn't like it at all, very very confused and disjointed.

@ JD, small experimental movies are great, I've seen quite a few of the ones you've mentioned and the rest are on my to see list.

howevere what gives me kicks is when I notice some nice touch in a commercial, money making movie, one scene with realism, one real character, some nice funny dialogue, a well-built story, baby steps I know... but all the same - 'tmakes me smile :D

Spaz Kumari said...

so tell me again which part of this blogpost is a review of kaminey.

i have been mizled and bamboosled into coming here.

bye. hmph.

ramsub said...

@ indiegurl, swordfish, post not meant to be a review of kamminey!

post meant to reflect the emosanal atyachar that all movies inflict on me, if they're bad I get angry and ranty, if they're good I get high and buzzed!

Punvati said...

Ah joy. For a change... Indiegurl.. its bamboozled not bamboosled :P Yes cheap thrills. So sue me :P

I get that way with movies too but the hardest it ever hit me was with The Butterfly Effect.

And I thought the emofanal atyachar waf because of me and findhu annoying you fo much :D

Punvati said...

And mizled too. You did that on purpose dint u. Damn. :|

ramsub said...

@ Divi tch tch tch.......... "all this drama over him being from up?"

Spaz Kumari said...

@divi -

HAAAAAAAAAhahahhahaha that worked better than i thought it would! LOOOVE you. :D :D :D

edit -- ramu! word verification - 'sestaa'!!