18 August 2009

To think or not to Think

It was easy to rant about and critique Kambhakt Ishq, even the half a brain cell watching this movie leaves you with was more than enough to figure out and point out what all was wrong with the movie. It’s a little harder to tell you why I liked, nay Loved Dev D. Of the top of my head and without much analysis, I’d say it was the music, the look of the movie and the character arc of Dev which was portrayed brilliantly by Abhay Deol (sigh........)

It’s a lot harder (almost impossible) to tell you what I thought of Kaminey, primarily because two days after watching the movie, I can’t remember much about it, what I liked, what I didn’t like, what I was thinking of during the movie, what I felt about the characters, nothing much, no strong opinion. All I know is that I enjoyed watching the movie, I was buzzed out after I saw it and that I’d like to watch the movie again.
There are some movies which defy analysis by me. It’s not that they’re mindless movies, it’s just that I seem to watch them mindlessly. These movies (almost always) contain the following elements. Humour, it could be black, it could be very clean, but mostly it’s inconsequential humour, there’s no deeper hidden meaning beyond making the viewer laugh (even the Mumbai Bumbai joke in Kaminey is an old one, last noticed by me in Jab We Met! And which has lost all meaning due to repeated use). They always have well fleshed out female characters, it doesn’t mean that they portray my ideal woman, but rather that they portray women as they are, without shying away from their faults and emphasizing their strengths, (Priyanka Chopras role was an absolute delight to watch and her acting was excellent, must have more women with machine guns in movies). They have no right and wrong, either all the characters are kamineys with some redeeming feature, or else all the characters are decent but slightly flawed people, the only reason you’re rooting for someone is because they have star billing (this movie does have some obvious variations in good and bad, but since the movie so staunchly refuses to pass judgment on any of its characters or glorify any other, you’re also left unable to decide whether you agree with the movie.) These movies are generally high concept movies that through the skill of the director/ writer managed to avoid becoming gimmicky (excellent direction, great writing). These movies have a sense of fun, they have panache, they have style (cue the wonderfully choreographed to look unchoreographed Dhan te Nan, the relationship between Mikhail and Charlie). And they always have happy endings, sometimes ambiguous ones, sometimes with a twist, but a happy ending nonetheless.
I can’t find anything to disagree with, or agree with in these movies, they’re about style, they’re about the experience and I leave my brain behind and enjoy them. They’re movies like RocknRolla, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Kind Hearts and Coronets (an oldie and an absolute goldie), Arsenic and Old lace (these being the black humour ones), Singin’ in the Rain, Music and Lyrics (Clean Humour and yes I enjoyed Music and Lyrics). Think of them as abstract paintings or instrumental music, often there’s a meaning, but sometimes it’s just about the viewing/hearing pleasure. It’s art.
What do I think about movies like these and Kaminey? I think I need to watch....... enjoy them again.

5 comments:

As the Mind Meanders said...

I like your choice of films and I share your thought process... After watching Dev D I had wanted to write a review. I loved the film and the experience. But eventually I could not bring myself to actually write it down... to do the review would call for analysis and analysis could unravel the mystery and the charm... Its so much more fun to just enjoy and not think...

I loved this post... and I think I am gonna love your blog... please keep writing...

Punvati said...

It would be a torture to review kaminey. So many characters, too many tiny little details (imagine a review with discussion about spiderman, machine guns and a neighing Shahid). It was just so well made. Yes, art. And definitely not meant for nitpicking and unraveling. Nicely put :)

Spaz Kumari said...

i was thinking i'd attempt a review as well, and i was thinking largely along the same lines, and therefore i was BAMBOOSLED (divi - attention here :D ) re how to go about it. then i came here, and sure enough, you've got it right. this is the only possible way to review kaminay, and this is the best review i've read of it.

granted i've read a grand total of two, but you get my point. :)

mucho props, couldn't disagree anywhere.

Arpita Sarkar said...

Thanks Ramsub...

And ur right.. Its kinda difficult to review a movie like this... A movie that u'd enjoy watching, but find extremely cliched if you took it to pieces... Nonetheless, here are a few reasons why I liked the movie:

1. The background research was excellent. Priyanka Chopra's character was this plain Mumbai belle who wore Kurtas/Suits and had her hair tied up in a french braid...

2. It takes some brains to come up with a name like "Mikhail" for a wanna be "cool dude" Bong Gangster... The name is so Bong and yet.. Not very conventionally Indian... The other two Bong gangsters were portrayed pretty well too..

3. Charlie's dream sequences were a piece of art :)

4. We didn't have Americans talking in Hindi for the 'convenience' of the Indian Audience. Instead, we had characters who spoke in their own languages. Sweety spoke to her brothers in Marathi and Mikhail spoke to his in Bengali :) Those two African dudes spoke in their native languages too..

5. The Charlie Mikhail chemistry made me go :O :O :O "Shonamoni.. Je Niye aay" ... Charlie didn't have a girl friend. A girl in the pic would have ruined his character sketch of him being this 'race horse'..

6. Loved the sexual innuendos... Right from Shahid Kapoor dressed as a penis in a red condom to the "Apna Haath Jagannath" on the toilet door. The pre-sex scene is one of the best I've seen in a Hindi movie (No ridiculous music in the background)

7. The best part of the movie was the role reversal between the leads

A typical Hindi movie would be- Hero stalks heroine.. Cons her into falling in love with him.. Bad guys come.. Hero saves Heroine.. The Hero's con game is forgiven because she loves him after all...

Here we saw the exact role reversal- Sweety cons Guddu into falling in love with her... Cons him into marriage... and the saves him from the bad guys (Remember the machine gun?)

ramsub said...

@ ATMM and Indiegurl :D, blushes furiously

@ swordfish, perfect points, I guess I'd club some of them under 'style' and add another feature 'attention to details' or 'the little things'